Judy Lyons ISA, AM
AQS Certified Quilt Appraiser
1231 Hammond Street Burlington, Ontario L7S 2A4 905 639 2441 email: Judy.email@example.com
Judy Lyons is a specialist in the appraising of traditional and non traditional quilts, fiber art, needlework and textiles. She is an accredited member of the International Society of Appraisers (ISA) and her credentials are in compliance with the Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice (USPAP). Ms. Lyons is also certified with the American Quilters Society (AQS) and a member of the Professional Association of Appraisers-Quilted Textiles (PAAQT). Judy is a member of quilt related guilds and associations. In addition, she is a quilt collector and lectures on the history and valuation of quilts. Her experience extends across Ontario and other parts of Canada.
She is a member of the Canadian Quilters’ Association. She served on the Board of Directors for 3 years as Publicity Director (2000-2003).
Judy has held 3 quilt documentation projects in the Hamilton-Wentworth County in Ontario.
Recently she wrote a couple of articles on the Canada Packer Quilt Collections. The first being a 3 part story in the Canadian Quilters Association newsletter and the second for the American Quilt Study Group (Blanket Statement). She was also instrumental in documenting this information on the Quilt Index with Michigan State University.
An Opportunity to Have Your Quilt Appraised
Curiosity about values of treasures in our homes is becoming more popular.
As our society ages we are finding more items including quilts that we have no idea what value they have.
There are many financial issues that require appraisals to protect your interests.
- Our insurance companies stress that everyone should have a comprehensive inventory of personal property, collections and household goods for their personal property coverage. Also an appraisal is needed for claims or losses.
- Lawyers need appraisals to settle estates, and in the case of divorce settlements – inventories are required for the division of property.
- Banks/Trust companies require appraisals of personal property before they distribute or sell the items.
- Moving/Shipping companies need appraisals to assess the loss or damage for a proper settlement.
- Donations to your favourite charity some require appraisals.
A quilt appraisal is your written document confirming the age, identification, construction, workmanship and up-to-date unbiased estimated value of your quilt, art quilt or quilted garment.
When we do appraisal days we invite the general public to bring in their quilts old and new; heavy quilts, simple quilts, poorly cared for quits, rough fabrics, painted quilts, embroidered quilts and otherwise unappreciated quilts. Quilts quilted by local groups, First World War, Second World War and depression era quilts are all welcome.
Information about having your quilt appraised at Quilts Kingston 2015 is available on the Quilts Kingston 2015 page!